Sunday, May 11, 2008

LIVING BY EXAMPLE

When you thought I wasn't looking...written by a former child.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I knew there is a God I could always talk to and I learned to trust in God.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, 'Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.'

Well, I just want to start off this post by telling all you women, mothers or not, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! There are so many of you out there that have changed my life. I have learned the things I've needed to learn to be a better mom by all of you out there.

A special "I love you" to my mom. I would not be the person I am without my mom! I love her so much! She sacrificed so much for me and my brothers and sisters. She raised us in a foreign country, not knowing the language or her surroundings, and she did a fantastic job. I know that she would not have been able to do it without the spirit of Jesus Christ in her life. Which brings me to myself, what a perfect example he is to me, showing and teaching me exactly what I need to be doing to raise my, ever so special, children.

I also want to thank my mother in-law, Karen. What a great woman she is. She did such a great job raising her children and I am so thankful for her willingness to do so because I happened to marry one of those children. Jake is such an amazing husband and father and most of that is because of his sweet mom. ( I only say "most" because his dad is pretty great too!)

We had such an awesome sacrament meeting today. I sat by myself ( Jake took our noisy kids out in the hall so I could listen and enjoy the messages for once) and I cryed like a baby throughout the whole meeting. Some friends of ours, Paul and Sara McDowell, talked and they were absolutely amazing! Sara read this poem that I put at the beginning of this post, and how true it is. I sat there listening and thinking to myself, "I wonder if my kids have learned anything from me while I wasn't looking?." It scared me because most likely if they have learned something from me - it probably wasn't good! It's sad I know, but I am thankful this profound poem was shared today. We all know one of the best ways to learn is by example. I hope and pray that I will be a better example to my children. I love them with all my heart. I know without a doubt that my Heavenly Father sent these wonderful kids to me for a specific reason. They are all so different but yet so amazing in their own special way. I am so thankful for the things that they teach me each and every day. I love you Madi, and Dani, and Kash! I love being your mom!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that poem at the beginning of this post! I need to copy that one. I want to see pictures of the extensions too!! You're cheezy face instead of Jessicas, ha ha! You're too cute and a great mom. Happy Mother's Day to you! By the way, what was up with the for sale sign? Was that the thought for the week, or is it still on?

Mary said...

You need to be a little less of such a great Mom so Caitlin does not want you to be her Mom so much

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

I thought the mother day tears were already over for me. What a sweet post and tribute. I love that poem too- I just recently read it on another friends' blog. It's the best.
You are so amazing Megan. Thanks for your sharing your testimony and your desire to raise a good family. I can tell that you not only want that, BUT YOU LIVE IT and you strive for that and make it a priority. It's so easy sometimes to get distracted. Yikes- which just reminded me I need to get on FHE for tonight. (it's my weakness)
Megan- what are those self tanner things you posted?? Hmmm...I'm highly interested but at the same time- don't want to turn orange! loves.